MST fares are charged according to the length of the route, regardless of how far the rider is travelling.
|Local Routes||Primary Routes||Regional Routes||Commuter Routes|
- Youth (46" tall to 18 years old)
- Seniors (age 65 or older)
- Individuals with disabilities
- Medicare cardholders
Appropriate ID may be required to prove eligibility. MST offers free "Courtesy Card" IDs to individuals with disabilities and to Medicare cardholders, and honors equivalent cards issued by other transit systems.
MST does not issue transfers between its own routes, except for Hartnell College students boarding with ID at the Main or Alisal campuses.
Insert cash into the farebox. MST fareboxes do not give change, but instead issue a fare credit for use on future trips.
Magnetic-strip GoPasses are MST's daily/weekly/monthly pass media. 1-Day Super GoPasses are purchased from the coach operator and expire at 11:59pm. All other GoPasses must be purchased in advance from MST's Customer Service locations or community Pass Outlets, and expire 7 or 31 days from their first use. 31-Day GoPasses are available at group discounts of 10–35% to organizations with 3 or more riders (maximum discount with 31 or more riders).
The first time you use a GoPass, insert it into the slot on the top-left of the farebox with the front of the pass facing you. This will print an expiration date on the pass and activate it. On future trips, swipe the GoPass through the slot on the top-right of the farebox.
|31-Day Super||31-Day Basic||7-Day Super||1-Day Super||Summer Youth|
31-Day Basic GoPasses are valid on all MST local and primary routes, and count as a $2.50 fare credit ($1.25 discount) on regional and commuter routes.
1-Day Super GoPasses are valid on all MST local, primary, and regional routes, and count as a $10 fare credit ($5 discount) on commuter routes.
Summer Youth GoPasses are available only to youth age 18 & under, and are valid for one summer, June 1 through August 31. Like 1-Day Super GoPasses, they are valid on all MST local, primary, and regional routes, and count as a $5 discount fare credit on commuter routes.
Contactless, stored-value GoCards are available in $10 increments as a cash alternative, and include a 10% bonus fare credit built in. GoCards do not expire. As such, they are a good choice for occasional riders who don't ride regularly enough to save money with a GoPass. GoCards are purchased and reloaded at MST Customer Service locations, but not at community Pass Outlets nor aboard buses.
To pay fare using your GoCard, tap it on the farebox just below the screen.
Inter-agency fare arrangements
- MST and METRO both issue free transfers upon request for riders who are connecting at Watsonville Transit Center or Santa Cruz METRO Center.
- Ask the coach operator for a transfer when you board the first bus. Transfers are not issued when deboarding.
- MST-to-METRO transfers are valid for one ride on any METRO line except line 17.
- METRO-to-MST transfers are valid for one ride on MST lines 27, 28, 29, or 78.
- Neither MST nor METRO honor each other's passes or stored-value cards.
- MST 7- and 31-Day Super GoPasses are accepted by VTA for fare credit on light rail and local buses.
- VTA Express daily/Eco passes are accepted by MST for unlimited travel on all routes.
- VTA Local daily/monthly passes and the Youth Summer Blast Pass are accepted by MST for a $2.50 fare credit. MST does not accept the Local Eco pass.
- MST does not accept the Clipper card.