Amtrak is a national inter-city passenger train operator in the United States.
Interstate trains covering Western US
- California Zephyr - Chicago to Emeryville (San Francisco)
- Coast Starlight - Seattle to Los Angeles
- Sunset Limited - New Orleans to Los Angeles
- Southwest Chief - Chicago to Los Angeles
- Cascades - Eugene to Seattle to Vancouver BC
- Empire Builder Portland and Seattle to Chicago
Long distance interstate trains offers coach and sleeper service.
Amtrak routes that run within this state are subsidized by the State of California through Caltrans. Only coach service is provided.
- Capitol Corridor - Auburn and Sacramento to Oakland and San Jose
- San Joaquins - Oakland to Bakersfield
- Pacific Surfliner - San Luis Obispo to San Diego
The State of California also subsidizes a network of Amtrak Thruway feeder bus routes connecting other parts of the state without rail service.